Thursday, May 24, 2012

Of monks and men

Growing up in a city like Bombay your awareness of smaller, more distant regions and cultures isn't exactly acute. I was aware there was a place called Sikkim, and a kingdom called Bhutan, and I'd been to Nepal - but I had little understanding of those people's cultures - their similarities to and differences from what I considered 'Indian.' So obviously, this trip was much needed. History textbooks in school made me aware that there was this princely chap called Siddharth, and then there was big thing called Buddhism, and that while it was born in India, it wasn't really en vogue anymore.
 dfsdfsdf
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I have to say I disagree about buddhism not being big anymore. The once princely- later enlightened chap definitely knew his stuff. Buddhism as a religion may not be as en vogue, but as a practice it flourishes- in India and all around the world.

    ReplyDelete