Saturday, December 25, 2010

Day 4: Newspapers, really bad wine, and Shivaji Park poker?

The following is HEAVILY paraphrased for umm.. brevity. Yeah, brevity. Let's go with that.
Ajay: "Tim! I'm back. What's cooking?"
Tim: "There's jive dancing at Bandra gymkhana, and is arranging a Big Band"
Ajay: "Live music and dancing with a bunch of Bandra macs on Christmas night? DONE!"

Unfortunately, it remained undone. Later that night we found out it was a ticketed event. And like anything popular in Bombay, it was impossible to get into at the last moment without some serious pull. And I don't even have light pull. Never mind.

Quick side note. Newspapers with chaha. Lots of 'em. I hope this never changes.

Packed agenda today. Romp around Kabootar Khana and Kirtikar market with the Mamma. I had ganneka ras (Sugarcane juice. Sigh. Ya'll better learn Hindi. You know who you are. Get on it right away. Don't make me type more than I already do?).. anyway, ganneka ka ras at a place that had NO flies. ZERO. None. I don't even know they did it. Sugarcane -> flies. That's nature. But there you have it, flie-less.

Hit up a place called Ivy in Worli. I wanted to try some more locally produced wine. See.. don't go there. The wine is by Indage. And it's no good for anything except a heavy buzz. The Shiraz we picked breathed like it was busy turning into acetone mid-consumption. On a phone call in the interim, the Bearded One chastizes me for even trying. Indage = bad he says. Sula > Indage he says. What's wrong with me, he says. Okay. Fine. I won't do it again. (I really won't)

Short stint at Worli seaface. If there is peace to be found amidst the crowd, there it is. Vies with parts of Bandra for my favourite spot in Bombay. So far on this trip, it's winning.

Met the gang over paani puri, shev batata puri, phenomenal chocolate cake, and some entirely forgettable Goan port wine at BuntyHetal's. Bunty - please throw that stuff out. Hetal - if there were any pictures of your lovely paani puri, could you please send them my way? I owe some people on Facebook a blow-by-blow documentary of "stuff I ate". And I realize now that's more work than I had imagined.

1 comment: