Saturday, December 25, 2010

Day 3: Bombay breeze

Coming back to Bombay can feel as alien as it can feel familiar. You don't know what to expect - from the city, or from yourself. I can spend two years away, believing (and at times, rueing) that I'm not as connected to Bombay as I once was. And then I even start supposing it's true.

But all it takes is three days back in Bombay, a couple of rounds around a crowded Shivaji Park, and the feel of the familiar breeze at Worli seaface - for me to realize I that had no idea how I truly felt. And to see, very plainly, that this city has a hold on me that is probably permanent; that in some ways, I will always be more at home here than anywhere else. That I probably still do belong, even if for years at a stretch it feels like I don't.

It's like the air here still owns me.

Freaky.

[We're sure we'll resume being a travel blog tomorrow. Rukaavat ke liye khed hai.]

No comments:

Post a Comment